i bought a lot of zucchinis. this is the result.
i think the combination of very moist ingredients and a questionable oven leads to questionably baked moist bread. it took a lot longer than the recipe said to bake. i think the olive oil was a really interesting addition; you can taste a hint of it in the finished result.
nonetheless, it turned out a yummy lumpy mess. i ate it with a fork.
(from souvlaki for the soul)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1 cup of brown organic sugar
- 2 large zucchini grated
- a good splash of vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups of self raising flour
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1/2 a teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 a cup of roughly chopped walnuts
- (nicole: i also added some craisins, which i recommend)
- Preheat your oven to
180 deg C355°F
- Lightly spray your baking tin (i used a 4"x8" loaf pan) with some olive oil or cooking spray
- In a large bowl whisk your eggs and gradually add the oil, sugar, vanilla and zucchini
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and walnuts. Stir this into the egg mixture until just combined
- Pour the batter into the pre greased baking tins and bake for approximately 50 mins…ensure the bread is cooked by inserting a skewer in the centre.
- Once cooked allow to sit in the tin for 5 mins and then invert onto a cooling rack.