Also known has char siu bao! Instead of chinese bbq roast pork, I made the buns with an american style bbq pulled pork from my slow cooker
BBQ Pulled Pork
This process is rather difficult to describe because I pretty much played it by ear.
7 pounds of pork shoulder
Spice rub: chili pepper, dried oregano, ghost pepper salt (got it from chelsea market), cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg, clover, kosher salt
1 1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of white granulated sugar
probably 1 1/2 tablespoons of worcester sauce
1 cup of ketchup
1/2 cup of vinegar
2 tablespoons of siracha rooster sauce
1 chicken bullion cube with 1/2 cup of water or 1 can of chicken broth
- Hack up the pork into manageable pieces and get down and dirty with the rub.
- Mix up the rest of the ingredients with the exception of the beer and chicken broth.
- Place the pork into a 6 quart slow cooker and then pour the sauce on top.
- Add the cooking liquid (beer & chicken broth).
- Cook on low for 10-11 hours.
- Live life
- Remove all the fat that's floated up to the top, and then place the pork in a serving/baking dish. Pour the de-fatted sauce on top of the meat.
- Wait another 2 hours for the meat and the sauce to come together and then shred.
I used this recipe for the steamed buns:
Ingredients (the amounts are separated for the different steps you mix them in)
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flower
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup warm water
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 table spoon vegetable oil